Sunday, November 18, 2007

advertisement for myself

I don’t usually advertise my journalism stuff on this blog. But today I will. I started my new column on academic books in the Austin Statesman today. Check it out. The deal is that I will, as the spirit moves the editors at the paper, be doing these roundups of two university press books now and then. The column debuts with a close look at Gregory Clark’s A Farewell to Alms (which, I must say, I deal with mighty handily – my five pages of objections to the book boiled down to a pretty succinct seven paragraph takedown) and James Simpson’s Burning to Read. In the future, I’m going to try to chose books for each column that are a little more related – although making these books rub elbows was fun.

So tell your Ma, tell your Pa, and tell the person you know who works for a university press or who wants to publish some academic book. I think this column might be a first for a regular newspaper. And if it goes well, I’ll become the godfather of the academic publishing world. Those on my right hand I will elevate to their thrones in heaven, those on my left hand I will damn eternally. Or something like that. My friend Dave has often remarked that it is a lucky thing for the world that I never gained either wealth or power, since I have a cruel and dictatorial soul – wrapped in the body of a beggar. True enough.

5 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Roger. The review of A Farwell to Alms was restrained and to the point. Your concluding paragraph in the Simpson review got the message across without belaboring it.

    I wish the critics had been as thoughtful when my “The School of Hard Knocks: Variables Relating to Krazy Kat Partner Choice Differentiated by Throw Weight” was published. You were the only one to give it its due.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Scruggs, they missed a treasure! I have used your advice on the "Ignatz method to sacred and binding Christian love" ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps - oh, the perils of journalism for the philosophically minded! I was just preening about my column, when I happened to read the headline they wrote for it - Opposing theories hurt book's premises - when, of course, it should read -opposing premises hurt book's theory.
    But I'm not gonna bitch. Still, it is a little funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they have any sense they'll run your column often enough that regular readers will discover the difference between thought and media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be Roger again. This I swear.

    ReplyDelete